Saturday, October 15, 2011

My Classroom

So, I've put a ton of thought into making my classroom an inviting atmosphere for learning Spanish. Here are a few pics:

Welcome to my classroom! That's my desk!

There's a pinata hanging over my desk that my students made of my head last year when I student taught. They told me they were making a pinata of Dora la Exploradora... and the next moment I turn around, and it's hanging over my desk.

Notice the Promethean Board! I love technology... but not as much as... Well, actually...

So, hopefully you can tell from the pictures I took, but my classroom is HUGE! I love it! There's tons of space for moving around during conversation activities and learning centers. I feel very blessed.

So, this is "Spain". If my students are being amazing and get their work done quicker than the other students, I give them a ticket to Spain. So, they get to go sit on the cool chairs and play games in Spanish or read Dr. Seuss books in Spanish. They love the chairs especially.

I have a window! (Very few of the rooms in our school do)

I have 3 rules, and I'm very serious about them. They encompass A LOT.

My co-worker Melody helped me come up with this. We make sure the kids know that making mistakes is essential for becoming fluent in a foreign language. I think it has made them feel much more comfortable with speaking Spanish in class.

I teach the students a new phrase in Spanish every week. We practice it during the "Bienvenida" everyday, and I use it to get their attention by saying the first half of the phrase and having them recite the second half. Works super well.

So, "Puntos de Fiesta" are rewarded when my classes demonstrate good behavior in the classroom, like staying on-task, speaking in Spanish, being polite and kind, quieting down quickly, etc. When each class reaches 100 points, they get a "fiesta" for an entire class period. I'm amazed how motivating this is.

This is the class calendar. The kids write on it only in Spanish, and we go over the events of the week they have written on it everyday at the beginning of class during the "bienvenida", the welcome.

This is my word wall. It's a work in progress. As the kids learn new vocabulary, I try get it up on the wall for them to reference during class. The more exposure, the better.

So, apparently maps are expensive. I still need one of Central America, oh... and apparently Spanish is spoken in one small country in Africa: Equatorial Guinea. Who knew?!

And the traditional teacher posters. Gotta have 'em.

16 comments:

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

Charla! Your classroom looks AMAZING! I want to be in your class. All of your ideas are so great. Looks like you are a fantastic teacher. :) Bien hecho mi amor!

charlaguay said...

Gracias chica bonita. Siempre me haces sentir bien confidente en mi misma. Te quiero mucho! :D

AngelaJoy said...

I absolutely love it! Beautiful, fun, open, and very conducive to learning. I'm still trying to figure out how to have the classroom/decoration/motivation aspects in online teaching. I'm definitely stealing some of your ideas. :-)

Ashley said...

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing your classroom :) I used to teach second grade and this year was sent to the high school to teach Spanish and I've been frustrated by the lack of online resources for ideas and classroom organization compared to what's out there for elementary teachers.

Glessie Sue said...

Wow! ¡Qué linda! Me encantan todas las ideas que tiene. Muchas gracias por compartir!

Glessie Sue said...

Wow! ¡Qué linda! Me encantan todas las ideas que tiene. Muchas gracias por compartir!

Cybil Hill said...

Gracias por compartir! Especialmente me gusta la cartelera de anuncios sobre el estudiante buena. Una pregunta... ¿qué significa "Survival Card"? Es que, quiero ayudar a mis estudiantes en la clase hablar más español.

Unknown said...

I would also like to know what your "survival card" is.

Unknown said...

I would also like to know what your "survival card" is.

charlaguay said...

The "survival card" is a double sided piece of paper (I usually print it on bright yellow card stock) with a list of the most common and most useful phrases and expressions that students can refer to to help them stay in Spanish. To access the file I made, click on the follow link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1pabvx1gm3rxa9/Carta%20de%20Comunicacion.docx

Anonymous said...

Hi! Love your ideas... Would you mind re-posting a link to the survival card that you use? The link posted says that it's been moved or deleted. Muchísimas gracias!

Anonymous said...

La Guinea Ecuatorial is a COUNTRY!!!!!!! Africa is a continent with over 50 countries. Equatorial Guinea is a Hispanic country that deserves to be known just as Mexico and Spain are to our SSL students. It is a country (not a province !!) that should be know by all Spanish teachers. We have to make sure we are excellent in Hispanic geography if we are teaching it.

charlaguay said...

Thanks for the information. Right you are. With 21 different Spanish speaking countries, it is easy to make mistakes. I have to disagree with you that in order to be amazing Spanish teachers we have to be experts. So much is changing about how we help our students learn. I see myself less of the fountain of knowledge for my students and more as a facilitator of learning. It is my job to teach them how to find correct information. I want them asking questions and finding information on their own and bringing it back to the classroom. I am continually learning as well. In fact, None of my university courses ever mentioned Equatorial Guinea. I stumbled across this information on my own on the internet in my first year of teaching. I will probably never be an expert on the history and continually evolving culture of all the Spanish speaking countries in the world in my lifetime. But I do consider myself a highly qualified Spanish teacher.

Unknown said...

I was just wondering about the Puntos de Fiesta. How do you decide how many points to award the class for good behavior? Do you have a set number that they can get everyday? Do you take points away for bad behavior? If you could please let me know how you do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely classroom! This is my first year teaching all Spanish (previously mainly English), so this is getting me excited for the coming school year and giving me some ideas!

Melissa said...

Your classroom looks great! Can you please repost the link to the Survival Card. The one that was originally posted is not working. Thanks so much!