Monday, September 12, 2011

An Inexplicably Amazing Day

Is it a chemical thing? Is it just me feeling happy for no reason? Is it as simple as me realizing that my life is pretty darn stinking good? I dunno. But for some reason, I came home from work today feeling like a million bucks. And I honestly cannot explain why. I mean, I actually woke up feeling incredibly overwhelmed and kind of anxious about how prepared I was to teach today. And though most of my classes went pretty well, in my last Spanish class today, I had two kids start wrestling, right there on the floor of my classroom. And, that's when the claws came out! Even I was surprised how easily my tone changed from pleasant fun teacher to no-nonsense drill sergeant.

So, despite how I began and ended the teaching portion of my day, I somehow between Sandy and Provo transformed from a stressed-out teacher into an elated human being. How is this possible? I'd definitely like to figure out how I can make this a regular occurrence.

Well, at any rate, below is my attempt to describe and somewhat preserve how I currently feel...

I want to kiss everyone I know on the forehead and then squeeze them tightly for a good minute, just to make sure they know they're loved, and especially by me.

I feel like running up a mountain just so I can feel my lungs and legs burn and then stare at the glittery city lights. (And the strange part is, I would totally enjoy doing this alone... but probably not a safe or wise idea, seeing that it is 10 at night.)

I feel like making 100 cupcakes and sharing them one by one with 50 other people... For some reason cupcakes sound good. (Did I mention I've had cupcake dreams before? I felt like such a sinner eating all of them cupcakes, but HOT DANG, them cupcakes were good! Did I also mention that I'm an English Teaching minor? ...)

I think I could do 3 workout videos in a row, and then take a 40 minute shower with zero singing breaks. My song selection would be: the elephant love melody from Moulin Rouge, JB's "One Time",  Regina Spektor's "On the Radio", "At Last" by Etta James, and maybe a few of my own.

And I even could pull an all-nighter tonight just to make some fun memories with my besties, my roommates, even though I know I'd pay for it in 2 days.

I dunno, maybe all of this is stemming from having become so preoccupied with all my new responsibilities as a "real" adult with a real job. I think I've reached a point where I can no longer care as much as I have been trying to care because it's simply not worth all of the associated stress and anxiety. I will do all that I can do, and I will remain responsible. But, everything that I cannot do, I will rest in the arms of the Lord. He will make my burdens light, and He will help me to do the same for others. I mean, honestly... how am I suppose to have a positive influence on the youth I teach everyday If I slowly turn myself into Miss Cranky Pants? I'll tell you right here and right now, in the words of Glozell, "It ain't gon' happen!"

No comments: