Living off student loans and any job that fits between classes, I've worked many random jobs during my time at BYU. Here's a list:
-Deseret Towers custodian (These dorms no longer exist...that's how long ago I was as freshman. I cleaned S Tower. I chose not to live in the dorms my freshman year, but ironically I ended up cleaning them.)
-Elementary school speech tutor (The little kids I worked with were adorable. I loved teaching this one little boy named Remington how to say the letter "X". The whole "ecks" sound was a daily challenge for weeks. Then one day, he got it!)
-ESL teacher for Koreans using Skype (I now love S. Korea. And most if not ALL S. Koreans love Americans. They must be some of the sweetest people on earth.)
-Bindery worker (I worked in a gigantic paper factory for 3.5 yrs. My favorite task was jumping in the huge paper bin to smash down the shreds of paper and make room for more...word to the wise: empty your pockets before entering paper bin. You just might lose your tiny ipod and spend precious time diving and searching through the horrific mass of paper to find it.)
-EFY counselor (I loved it!)
-Door to door pest control saleswoman (This was the longest summer of my life. I discovered quickly that I am not into selling people...nor am I a huge fan of being sold by a salesman. If I want it, I'll buy it. Don't pressure me.)
-Call center representative (I called people and signed them up for online college. I also spoke to several angry people who did NOT want to go to college.)
-Sales company translator/claims/collections/dispatch/customer service person (This is the job I just put in my 2 weeks notice at today! Let's just say I'm not a fan of sales companies.)
And so...after years of working these types of jobs...I am incredibly excited to begin my student teaching in January. I received my assignment yesterday: Riverton High School in Riverton, Utah. It is there that I will embark on my journey to becoming a Spanish Teacher! I love teaching. I love Spanish. And I love working with the youth. I know it will be a challenge, but I'm up for it. With all this random experience under my belt, I can handle anything! Bring it on!
2 comments:
Congrats Charla! That is so exciting. I actually have a cousin at Riverton and if I remember right, she is taking Spanish. Keep your eye open for a Dani Sumsion. If you have her, you will love her and she deserves an "A" :) The only bad part is that is one long commute! Good luck.
Leslie, I will definitely look for her. Yah, the commute isn't amazing. But I hear my mentor teacher is worth it. Thanks for the well wishes. I hear I will need them. Student teaching, here I come!
Post a Comment