I was in a car wreck on Monday.
Basically, I was accelerating to make a yellow light when another car turned left in front of me. Life slowed down. And five seconds turned into an eternity. I could see the expression on his face through his windshield as I slammed on the brakes and began praying. A gazillion different thoughts streamed through my mind in those five seconds. To summarize, it went something like this: "Whoa! Where did this guy come from? Hit brakes! I hope this doesn't hurt. Why is this happening? Slow down! New tires, headlight, tie rod, windshield, mirror...all down the drain...ugh. I wish I could stop. Brace yourself." And then...CRASH! Then, suddenly everything sped up. I smashed the passenger side of his car. (Thank goodness there was no passenger.) And his car slid into the front of a stationary car waiting at the light.
As soon as I was able to drive my car over to the side of the road, I jumped out to see if he was ok. My focus automatically turned from my car and myself to him, the nice middle-aged man I just pummeled. I was too adrenaline pumped to cry when I saw the blood on his face and the big bumps on his forehead from the collision...but I felt like crying. I felt horrible. I felt like it was all my fault. I sat down on the curb. Just sat and glossed over a bit.
My trance was broken when I saw people running toward me, waving cell-phoned hands in the air. The police had been called. Thank goodness.
From there it was just a list of post-crash business, some enjoyable, some not: police report, chiropractor visit, several phone calls with car insurance companies, Craig's list searches, full body massage, crying, flashbacks, and whiplash.
And then came the blessings:
First there was Ryan. He picked me up in Orem, and drove me back to Provo. He and dear Chris then proceeded to give me a priesthood blessing, and he drove me all the way to Springville; Brittany hopped in for the ride, love that girl.
And, then there was my roommate Jackie. She and her boyfriend Chad took me to Taco Bell and icecream that night. Hit the spot.
After that my parents jumped in and took the greatest stresses off my mind. And, slowly everything has started falling into place. I might have even found a job this week! ...and not at Taco Bell.
So, it's goodbye to the ghetto super car. The insurance company is going to total the car and haul it off to a junk yard somewhere. Man, it's been in our family for years and years. I mean, I went on a roadtrip in this car with my sister and brother-in-law when I was 16 yrs old. That was 9 yrs ago! I'm gonna miss this car! So, here's a tribute to the GSC, Gesuka, the Ghetto Super Car:
Your grace and beauty make the tow yard seem like the valet parking lot at an expensive hotel.
I love you ghetto super car. We all do!
The headlights that guided me home at night...
The expensive, busted window I fixed up every six months with duct tape and gorilla tape.
The thingy that flopped in the wind and tapped against the back window when I drove down the highway. It was saying "Hello" and "I love you" with every tap.
The last time I'll ever see the Ghetto Super Car again.
1 comment:
Oh no! That totally stinks. I'm glad you seem to be ok though. Thank goodness for insurance.
Post a Comment